Reed on post-defeatism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 22 12:38:22 PST 2001

Brad Meyer>Likewise, leftists of (or from) other countries have to understand what underlies the apparent 'anti-statism' of american leftists - it is not just a legacy of american political tradition.

Given how much Fred Block's previous work esp._ The Origins of Int'l. Economic Disorder_ was so cited and read back when I was in college, I wonder why, a more recent book_The Myth of the Vampire State_ was so unnoticed. W/O the former book I wouldn't understand a ref to Bretton Woods. Michael Pugliese http://www.google.com/search?q=The+Myth+of+the+Vampire+State&btnG=Google+Sea rch http://www.google.com/search?q=Vampire+State+Fred+Block&btnG=Google+Search http://sociology.ucdavis.edu/personal/faculty/fredb.htm P.S. His article in Social Problems on the "Corporate Liberalism" thesis of Kolko & Weinstein & Martin Sklar is a good read. As is his old piece in SR_The Ruling Class Does Not Rule: Notes on the Marxist Theory of the State_ Collected in one of his books.