Eminem, gangsta capitalist, or capitalist gangsta

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 22 15:45:06 PST 2001

At 03:46 PM 2/22/01 -0800, dan wrote:
>Marshall Mathers is a product of his environment. Eminem/Slim shady is a
>character. 'We' find it hard to swallow the idea of a character that is
>seperate from the actor, yet type-cast, in anything other than film.
>
>We fight with analysis to explain what Eminem et al means in his songs. I
would
>suggest that the answer is simple - the analysis is making it complex...

I am not sure what it means - but the reference to trying to 'explain' what his songs "mean" suggests to me that this shit is more insidious than the Nazi propaganda. With the nazi propaganda - at least you know what it means, you can take it literally and argue with it. With this rap-crap shit - you never know: they spew Nazi-like hatred and bigotry, wrap in a form that is much more appealing to the public than Nazi harangues - and then when you protest its obnoxious content - they say it was a joke or a metaphor not be taken literally.

I am apalled that anyone with a trace of decency (not to mention developed political consciousness) buys this crap, let alone trying to defend it.

wojtek