HST on NASCAR Death

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 22 20:53:10 PST 2001

I think the report of hitting the wall at 180 should be restated. It's clear from the rivetting news shots that he has forward velocity of 180 [?] but the effective speed of hitting the wall was considerably less, and that's clear in the video as it looks more like a grazing shot, though clearly dramatic. Without the restraints working for you, you're totally vulnerable. I've only had one tramatic accident, wherein I hit a steel baricade (meridian) at about 55 after falling asleep at the wheel. I had only the seatbelt in my '87 Honda Accord and was nearly unfazed. Just had a major bruise on my chest, three days later, and a goose egg on my knee. The simple seatbelt completely saved my life AND face. (I had 2-3 second day-time "micro-nightmares" for a year after, but that's another story.) -Steve Grube