Eminem, gangsta capitalist, or capitalist gangsta

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Feb 23 04:35:28 PST 2001

Rob Schaap:
> The new Rome is sadly in need of some new Visigoths.

Doesn't it produce its own? Sufficient unto the day shall be the barbarian thereof.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone actually seeks out the consumers of transgressive art, low or high, to find out what it is they like about it. Off the top of my head, I'd say it's a substitute for freedom in an increasingly repressive society, but then lots of increasingly repressive societies and increasingly repressed people don't seem to go for it.