SJ Gould on genome

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Fri Feb 23 05:32:50 PST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Peter van Heusden wrote:

> Mapping the sites of common mutation to a 3D model of the
> proteins produced gives you an idea of exactly what
> molecular mechanism for virulence is, which gives you a
> handle on how to make a better drug.

Heh, I remember when this was first becoming doable because if advances in computers and computer graphics. The then emerging field was referred to as 'rational drug design'. The term lasted a few minutes until the drug companies got all huffy with the implication that how they used to design drugs was 'irrational'. (the field is now call 'structure based drug design')

> (At which point the lab probably ends up selling this
> information to GlaxoSmithKline for megabucks, and the
> resulting drug is sold back to the South African health
> service for even more megabucks....)

I heard on the radio yesterday evening that the executive order that Clinton put in place (in spite of Al Whore's lobbying against it) that allows countries that have health emergencies to 'infringe' patents, is going to be continued by W and that PHARMA is really pissed. Good for him.

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com

Computers hate being anthropomorphized.