kids v. economists

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Feb 23 14:41:59 PST 2001

At 04:57 PM 2/23/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Vikash Yadav wrote:
>
>>You seem to foreclose the possibility that a group of leftist thinkers could
>>do the same. What is the basis for believing this?
>
>I don't think the profession of economics is likely to change as a result
>of developments within economics; better arguments are not going to
>persuade members of a profession whose fundamental task is concocting
>apologias for bourgeois society. It's much more likely that changes in the
>larger society might bring more radicals into studying economics, and to
>push some already credentialed wimpy liberals a bit to the left.
>
>Doug

and there we have it. the first statement is an explanation of social change from the perspective of home oeconomicus. change happens--weberian fashion--via novelty -- because the presuppositions of the discipline is an enduring methodological individualism. doug's position, otoh, is marxist or radical (as opposed to bourg liberal --whether its conservative or "liberal" variants)

kelley