Socializing the debt in Thailand

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Feb 25 20:44:33 PST 2001

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Lisa & Ian Murray crossposted:

> <http://www.ft.com> Bangkok to buy banks' bad debts
> By Amy Kazmin in Cha-Am, Thailand
> The agency will buy and manage about Bt300bn ($7bn)
> in non-performing loans from private banks and Bt900bn in bad loans
> from state banks. For private banks the scheme will apply to bad debts
> that have more than three creditors.

A step forwards, but a bailout of the financial sector isn't the same thing as a bail-in of your industrial base. South Korea has been steadily refloating its industrial sector, allowing the chaebol to reload for Round 2 of the Rumble in the DRAM-Jungle, and giving fits to Japan's mighty electronics firms. Thailand's basic developmental indicators remain weak, especially in education, science and training; they badly need some sort of developmental state. Anyone know if the Thai left (about which I know nothing) is doing anything creative here?

-- Dennis