worlds collide

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Mon Feb 26 08:22:50 PST 2001

> But RATM's music and lyrics just sound ponderous and preachy to me.
> Most explicitly political popular music sounds that way to me, except
> the Mekons, with their boozy wit.
>
> Doug

I feel that way about a lot of overtly political music (save for the early Billy Bragg, and the anti-Thatcherite songs by the English Beat); but RATM's sound really kicks ass. Tom Morello's guitar work is first-rate, and while I've never seen them live, I actually purchased a day of Woodstock pay-per-view to watch them perform. Also, they are the only band in the history of "Saturday Night Live" to be thrown out of the RCA Building *during* the live show. Seems their burning of the flag did not go over with the show's crew, nor with the host, Steve Forbes.

DP