ADA suits against states struck down- what's next?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 26 10:21:25 PST 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

Btw, the case leaves untouched the kinds of lawsuits
> for ramps, etc. at public buildings that are the heart of Title II of the
> ADA, at laest if we leave aside that nasty sentence that you quoted.

It may still come up if the Supremes decide to take up the Title II issue pending before the court. I personally think it's pretty clear from the language of the Rehnquist opinion that they'll kick out damages under Title II when they get that case (unless it's a "fundamental rights" kind of case (like voting). It's also clear they'll keep injunctive relief under Title II.

Marta