Fwd: QLEFT: queers and women in the movement

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 26 10:23:23 PST 2001

Liz Highleyman writes:

>Interestingly, though, there are a lot of women in the the multi-issue
>"convergence" movement -- I'd put it at about 50/50, with a lot of the
>"leadership" positions held by women (I know it's officially a
>"leaderless" movement, but still, women are among the most visible
>activists).

It may be a little premature to speak of "_the_ multi-issue 'convergence' _movement_," in that folks who have participated in Seattle, A16 in Washington D.C., Prague, Porto Alegre, etc. do not have a coherent political program or even shared political vision. It's been a convergence of many groups with disparate ideologies & objectives. There exists a common ground of sorts in an idea that the WB, the IMF, etc. do not serve the interest of the working people, but theoretical frameworks from which criticisms of such institutions are offered, political remedies proposed, etc. differ greatly, depending on participating individuals & groups (some of whom from the Global North are just protectionist or social-imperialist, rather than anti-capitalist).

Besides, working-class people can't be globe-trotting all the time, in order to follow this or that conference organized by the ruling class & the governing elite. For working-class women, queers, people of color, etc. to take part in any movement, the movement in question has to have local & national dimensions, not just "going" to protests in far-flung places.

Moreover, where do folks want to go, _beyond_ protesting against high-profile meetings of the power elite?

Yoshie