worlds collide

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 26 10:36:23 PST 2001

>When I first came to Columbus, Ohio, its "downtown" had pennants
>flying all over the place, proclaiming to all: "downtown."
>Christian's maxim -- "if you have to say it, you're not it" -- holds
>true, I'm afraid.

Like: political science, computer science, management science. If it has to _call itself_ science, it's not. So it is very sneaky of economics to _not call itself science._

>That said, it seems to me that it's common for musicians in genres
>such as rock, punk, hip-hop, etc. to reach their peaks early, unlike
>in jazz, blues, country, etc. Music for alienated youths may demand
>young alienated musicians. Hence disposable heroes....

Well, actually it's true in jazz, too, though some great jazz musicians keep going on at a high level afterwards. But think: Armstrong was in his early 20s when he made the Hot 5s and 7s recordings, which he never bettered; Ellington was king of what later came to be swing with the Jungle Band in his early 20s, although he got better; the creators of bebop were all teenagers, near enough, except for Coleman Hawkins, and he was a star in his 20s twenty years before . . . .