Fwd: QLEFT: Queer participation in multi-issue "convergence"movement

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Feb 26 13:12:51 PST 2001

Liz wrote:

> I'd certainly appreciate any comments people have on this issue --
> this topics was brought up here awhile back after the Seattle protests
> in November 1999, but no one seemed to "bite" -- maybe it's time to
> try again.

Hi Liz!

I can only speak to my experience on the East Coast, as a heterosexual (albeit kinky) anarchist male.

It seems to me that the queers involved in the "globalization from below" movement/network are mostly involved as "progressive activists who happen to be queer." In this region, ACT UP Philly has been pretty involved, mainly as a facet of their ongoing campaign to make AIDS drugs freely available in Africa.

Our local anti-FTAA coalition here in D.C. will be presenting an anti-FTAA teach-in this Saturday, which will be featuring anti-capitalists from Montreal, as well as an ACT UP activist from Philadelphia. It looks like our anti-FTAA local work here will revolve around the AIDS drug issue as well as the proposed privitization of D.C. General Hospital. I think the campaign surrounding AIDS drugs for Africa has the most momentum right now and is perhaps one of the most important public health campaigns around. I for one would love to see the corporate hold on new drugs broken and I'd like to see the concept of intellectual property demolished as well.

Chuck0