worlds collide

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Feb 26 13:18:31 PST 2001

> But RATM's music and lyrics just sound ponderous and preachy to
> me.
> Most explicitly political popular music sounds that way to me,
> except
> the Mekons, with their boozy wit.

Fine. But your taste isn't the only issue here. In fact I'd say less at issue because politics is something you are otherwise overtly interested in. I'm told that most ratm 'fans' don't care or listen to the 'politics' -- so I guess if that's true it certainly doesn't come across as 'preachy'. But I don't care about that either. They do no harm that I can see and thus the small number of people who will think even a little more critically about something important -- like gameshows or presidents -- seems a damn sight better than another britney spears or greenday.

Catherine