ADA suits against states struck down- what's next?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 26 13:56:13 PST 2001

How could it mean that? I mean, the S.Ct can pronounce to its heart's content on state court jurisdiction, but what gives _it_ jurisdiction to do that? That is mere dicta. All 11A cases are about Federal jurisdiction, full stop. Now, there are cases that say that states have to enforce federal law, and maybe your idea is that these have been subtly abrogated. But I will believe it when I see the caselaw. I ain't seen it yet. Right now, I see just that Congress didn't have the power, or didn't succeed in exercising it, to abrogate the 11A, barring Federal jurisdiction, under the 14A. None of this has any bearing on state jurisdiction. NB the cases I cited are Rehnquist court cases.

--jks