Adieu to globaloney

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 09:15:40 PST 2001

--- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: > Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

><http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,443449,00.html>
> >Goodbye to globalisation
> >
> >America's new focus means greater realism and
> honesty for the rest of us
> >
> >Special report: globalisation
> >
> >John Gray
> >Tuesday February 27, 2001
> >The Guardian
>
> Are Gray's Tory roots showing?

Yes. It's always been a huge mistake to regard him as a man of the left. He was toying with the phrase "Green Conservatism" some while ago, and has more in common with the communitarians than anyone else, for my money.

> Does he really think that "globalization" was the
> personal political
> project of Bill Clinton, rather than something with
> several centuries
> of capitalist precedent? Didn't he ever hear of a
> little thing called
> the British Empire?

I think he's stuck on the romance of Britain as a manufacturing country, with lots of mill towns, pit villages and similar lovely old close-knit communities. This is a fairly endemic disease in Britland -- thinking of our history as being "a great manufacturing nation", which we aren't, rather than a great trading nation, which we were.

dd

===== "Imagine the Duchess's feelings You could have pierced her with swords To find her youngest son liked Lenin And sold the Daily Worker near the House of Lords" -- Noel Coward