more tax cut questions- bush speech

christian11 at mindspring.com christian11 at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 28 06:56:40 PST 2001

No. No one is in a 50% federal tax bracket. The highest marginal rate is 39%, and that's well beyond the point where you pay SS taxes. Did he really say that?

Doug

Yes, he did. I couldn't believe it either. I think he was playing with over-time pay. If she works overtime, her hourly rate makes her annual salary high enough to be taxed in a higher bracket, which, adding SS maybe almost makes 50%. That's my guess.

I want to say I was disgusted. But then the Dems responded and they were just as bad.

Christian