more tax cut questions- bush speech

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Feb 28 09:40:24 PST 2001

At 08:43 AM 2/28/01 -0800, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> > i'd say
> > you're basically talking a shirt a week and a new pair of bottoms every
> > month or so. they typically get nothing in the way of benefits and rarely
> > get breaks unless they work for some sort of chain that has a mandatory
> > break policy.
>
>I didn't know that tips are for job-related expenses. Silly me, I
>thought tips were for good service.

bah! wait staff earn something like $2.50-$3.00 an hour. SOME places may pay the minimum wage tips are because an employer doesn't want to charge you what it would really cost if a waitress were paid what she deserves to get paid. in other words, if they paid waitstaff minimum wage or more your meal would cost more. labor costs in the industry are about 28% of sales.

most waitstaff make something like $2.65 for their wage and rely on tips to make that up. the employee has to make it up to minimum wage if the staff don't make it in tips.

furthermore, when you go to a buffet and heart your little heart out, it may seem like the waitress did very little work. DOUBLE BAH! she probably set up the buffet, monitors it if it's low, puts it all away, etc.

kelley