BK on Identity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 28 14:53:56 PST 2001

>CB: Yes, if we think of it as capitalism = wage-labor + specially
>oppressed labor, then race , nationality and gender in the
>capitalist epoch are rooted/constituted by the division of labor.
>Also, strategically, capitalism must have institutionalized ,
>antagonistic divisions between sectors of the working class ( divide
>and rule). Race , nationality and gender are necessary to the
>bourgeois mode/relations of production.

We can't fight against the "divide & rule" strategy if we conflate the contradiction between capital and labor with the antagonism between whites and blacks, etc. To repeat, our argument should be racism is *not* in the interest of white workers, sexism is *not* in the interest of male workers, and so on.

Yoshie