BK on Identity

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 28 16:52:09 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >>To repeat, our argument should be racism is *not* in the interest
> >>of white workers, sexism is *not* in the interest of male workers,
> >>and so on.
> >
> >Well maybe it is. Why are you so sure?
> >
> >Doug
>
> I've already explained why, theoretically and empirically.

There is a huge enough literature on this that the burden of proof is on anyone who wants to claim that white workers _as a group_ benefit from racism.

Equally, of course, large numbers, perhaps a majority, of white workers believe (or act as though they believe) that whites as whites benefit from racism. This is another case where Doug's penchant for asking questions in a vacuum at least resembles a conscious effort to _prevent_ the raising of politically or theoretically pertinent questions.

There are crucial questions here and Doug's frivolity on this thread seems designed to block articulation of those questions.

Carrol