Rightward ho!

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Jan 3 10:52:47 PST 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

>But the whole "the Dems will just cave" will be a self-fulfilling prophecy
>if folks assume it is true.

Though I'm not one for "wallowing in hopelessness," as you put it, this "self-fulfilling prophecy" is a suspicion based on a long history.

mbs:

The way this game will work is as follows. There are basically two sorts of tactics.

One is for each side to float proposals calculated to bring pressure on the other side and perhaps win enough 'traitors' to pass. Typically the latter does not happen, though anything is possible. But this is mostly an exercise in political posturing.

The other is for one side to seek some kind of compromise with the other side's leadership. The result will be some kind of centrist deal. Of course the center ain't what it used to be, and it could move in either direction.

Mobilization of the sort Nathan raises helps the Dems in either tactic.

The Dems will look for opportunities to burn the Repugs, when the issue looks appropriate. Examples include the size of the tax cut, SS privatization, min wage, the Ashcroft & DoI appointments. They will be ready to compromise on other stuff, like the education bill (note that vouchers have already been deep-sixed by the Bushies).

To me the main object of mobilization is to change the public debate on key issues and basic principles. Unfortunately, the Dems will not present much that is worthy of support in these terms.

Immediately I would say the task is derision. I'll be attending the festivities in costume.

mbs