Dude, Where's My Party?

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jan 3 22:10:02 PST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Nathan Newman wrote:

> But all the posturing for the revolutionary potential of voting Green
> just seems silly. There is no historical basis for its success and
> all you need do is look at the Greens in power in Germany to see that
> there is no international basis for vaunting its revolutionary
> potential.

The Greens are not "in power". They got 7% of the vote and a minority position with the much larger SPD, which means they can push a few issues against the neolibs. They've done some fine things in terms of local planning, transport, and eco-development, and are the only folks to take multiculturalism and the potential of a Euroleft seriously. The Greens have also taken root all across Europe, which is a commendable feat in its own right.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against one-party states per se. It's just that ours is braindead, bankrupt and about to see its currency slammed in the chops by despicably wealthy Eurolizards.

-- Dennis