Washington Imperium ( was Re: Ashcroft & Race)

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Thu Jan 4 15:55:17 PST 2001

Except that it still needs one - just one - strong central imperial state to guarantee the lesser fragments. That would be the USA.

Remember, capitalist development, especially on a global scale, is necessarily combined and uneven. This applies to the level of nation-state as well. Hence in the current, actual configuration, the USA is necessarily the exception (and excepted from) the rule applied to everyone else. Centripetal fragmentation means greater integration at the center. Otherwise, why be imperialist if it doesn't mean schluffing the problems of capitalism off on everyone else, and then "guaranteeing" the result at the point of a gun?

This structure BTW makes a US "soft landing" possible. Depends on how much the rest of the world - especially W.Europe and Japan - is willing to bend over and take it from Uncle Sugar. The utterly rotten Tokyo regime could bend over forever, I'm convinced, but W.Europe is another matter.

-Brad Mayer