Ashcroft & Race

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 5 08:14:48 PST 2001

At 09:06 PM 1/4/01 -0500, Gordon wrote:
>And speaking of high culture: if culture can be low or high,
>then it is being ordered by power and can never belong to the
>working class except where they are obedient, deferential
>recipients. But if, instead of imparting the higher things,
>one could figure out how to get the peasants however crude
>to revolt -- leftishly, of course -- you'd have a revolution,
>nekulturnaya, perhaps, but a real revolution nevertheless.
>Want it? Maybe Virgil is nicer.

I prefer Virgil to Pol Pot or Mao - populist revolutionary credentials of the latter notwithstanding.

But the broader point is that by objective standards, bourgeoisie did create a better society, a better culture, a better economy, and a better life than any other social class. The only problem is that it kept these goodies for the members of its own class, instead of letting the workers take advantage of them. These goodies enjoyed only by the bourgeoisie was the grand prize in the class struggle.

My problem with the culturalist Left is that it lost its sight from that prize, and then redefined the goals of the struggle in terms of populist symbols and cultural identities. It is like someone fighting a war, in the middle of it decided to drop his/her weapon and play a game of chess instead. It is essentially the same as soliving one's life problems by "finding Jesus," or for that matter, by getting high.

wojtek