NATO cancers attributed to depleted uranium

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 5 10:27:20 PST 2001

Tom McInerney writes:

>So much for humanitarian intervention. It's no wonder the US
>military is nervous about the prospect of an international war
>crimes tribunal.

***** The Guardian (London) January 3, 2001 SECTION: Guardian Leader Pages, Pg. 17 HEADLINE: Comment & Analysis: Hypocrite to the last: The US president has suddenly signed up to the plan for an international war crimes tribunal BYLINE: Joan Smith

On Sunday, in a move that took everyone by surprise, the United States suddenly reversed its previous policy and signed a treaty to establish a permanent international criminal court. The decision was taken by Bill Clinton at the last possible moment, only hours before the deadline set by the United Nations was due to expire. With other last-minute signatories, the total of countries that have declared their support for the Rome treaty now stands at 139....

The international criminal court (ICC) would be the first standing tribunal with jurisdiction to try individuals on charges of genocide, war crimes and other crimes against humanity. It would be a permanent version of the ad hoc tribunals set up at Nuremberg in 1946, to try Nazi war criminals, and more recently in the Netherlands and Tanzania to hear cases involving human rights abuses in former Yugoslavia and Rwanda respectively.

While countries as diverse as Chile, Argentina, Senegal, Zimbabwe and Sierra Leone were quick to sign the treaty, the Clinton administration has opposed it ever since it was negotiated in Rome in 1998....On Sunday, the news that the US had abruptly changed its mind prompted a similar change of heart in Israel; the Israeli announcement overturned an earlier vote against signature by the Israeli cabinet, confirming the enormous influence the United States continues to exert on its embattled ally in the Middle East.

...Clinton's decision stops a long way short of ratifying the treaty, a step that must be taken by 60 countries before the court can be set up in the Netherlands. (To date, 27 nations have done so, clearing almost half the hurdles in what often seems a painfully slow and bureaucratic process.) Even worse is the fact that his decision is not legally binding without Senate approval. The incoming Republican administration is firmly opposed, with George W Bush's nominee for defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, warning only last month that "American leadership in the world could be the first casualty" of the court.

The likely response of the Senate was revealed on Sunday when Jesse Helms of North Carolina, the rightwing Republican who chairs the foreign relations committee, called Clinton's action "as outrageous as it is inexplicable". He claimed it was "a blatant attempt by a lame-duck president to tie the hands of his successor", adding ominously: "Well, I have a message for the outgoing president. This decision will not stand."

Clinton knows this perfectly well, and took the unusual step of declaring that he would neither submit the treaty for Senate approval nor recommend that his successor do so. And while Bush's hands are tied to some extent - he cannot reverse Clinton's action - he can declare that the US will never ratify the treaty. He can also encourage the Senate to reject it....

In that sense, Helms's accusation about Clinton's motives contains some truth. Indeed it does not go far enough, for it is clear that the 42nd president is casting about for grand gestures that will stand as his memorial. With peace in the Middle East as far away as ever, it seems likely that his abrupt volte-face on the ICC is more about looking good than a genuine conversion to what the president described at the weekend as a reaffirmation of "our strong support for international accountability".

That support might look a bit more convincing if Clinton had signed the treaty two years ago, along with the 73 world leaders who did so in the six months after the Rome conference, instead of caving in to pressure from the Pentagon. Until last weekend, his public position was not easy to distinguish from that of his Republican opponents, who distrust the ICC because they have not been able to secure a promise that no American will ever have to appear before it. Helms announced some time ago that the treaty would be "dead on arrival" in Congress if it failed to exclude the future indictment of a single American soldier.

For a country whose troops perpetrated the My Lai massacre in Vietnam, and which is currently supplying money, weapons and military advisers to an army with a dismal record of human rights abuses in Colombia, this is a real anxiety. While the most obvious targets of the ICC would be generals and former heads of state, it would also have a duty to examine the conduct of less well-known individuals. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that this might one day include American soldiers serving with the Colombian armed forces or under the aegis of the UN in one of the world's trouble spots.

Such a prospect has, until now, worried the outgoing president just as much as it does Helms or Rumsfeld. Like them, Clinton is committed to a policy that treats his fellow-citizens as hugely more valuable, and correspondingly less accountable, than those of other nations.... *****

So, the international criminal court is doomed. The Guardian-type liberals mourn its abortion, but the ICC would likely do little damage to the Evil Empire even if it were allowed to be born some day in the future. Just as the rule of law has allowed the ruling class to flourish domestically, the rule of international law will allow the Empire to have its way.

Yoshie