shave your shrub

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Jan 5 11:26:44 PST 2001

forgot where i found this beaut!

Shave your bush to protest Bush!

Mad about another Bush in the White House? Then shear off your own and let him know.

That's the call-to-arms of Silicon Salley co-founder Emily Hofstetter. In an e-mail with the subject line "Emily's election protest/performance," Hofstetter declaimed: "We have the power, now get into the shower and repeat after me: NO MORE BUSH!"

Hofstetter, whose site focuses on women working in theInternet industry, conceived of the protest in her own shower, as she mused upon the recent election shenanigans. As her e-mail -- which she sent to about 2,500 people -- explains: "There in the shower I began softly chanting 'no more bush, no more bush, no more bush' over and over again until I was in a mantra/trance-like state. I reached for the Lady Schick, a slick bar of handmade soap, and before I knew it, there was no more bush. Completely shaven, I stood in the shower laughing. I laughed until I cried and then it hit me: Women are probably going to be the most affected by this recent faux-lection. Why then don't we do something that will at least show our disapproval for the recent decision. The way I see it: ONE CLOSE SHAVE DESERVES ANOTHER!" In response to the thin margin that decided the recent presidential election, Hofstetter exhorts other women to follow her lead -- to shave themselves as an act of protest and "save the clippings, bag them and send them to our clown prince president for his inauguration. Better still, let's all go to the inauguration and throw the 'bush clippings' at our new president like confetti at a ticker tape parade!"

Does Hofstetter really expect throngs of disgruntled women to shave it off? Well, not exactly. Shave your bush to protest Bush! Mad about another Bush in the White House? Then shear off your own and let him know. That's the call-to-arms of Silicon Salley co-founder Emily Hofstetter. In an e-mail with the subject line "Emily's election protest/performance," Hofstetter declaimed: "We have the power, now get into the shower and repeat after me: NO MORE BUSH!"

[...]

shave it off? Well, not exactly. As her e-mail has been

forwarded around the Net, most of the reactions she's received

have been "right ons" from both men and women. Still, she

hopes to inspire others to take their own forms of action: "I

was hoping that it would mean a lot of things to other people.

This is protest in its most simple and most naked form," she

said.

Hofstetter will be traveling to Washington for the inauguration

and vows, "I am prepared to stay completely shaved for four

years. You think that Bush is the name of our president? I say

that Bush is something that I have between my legs and I can

get rid of it if I want to." -- Katharine Mieszkowski [5 p.m.

PST, Jan. 2, 2001] r e-mail has been forwarded around the Net, most of the reactions she's received