Fwd: RE: Weisbrot: the Long Haul

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 5 15:51:26 PST 2001

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:46:06 -0500 To: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> From: Mark Weisbrot <weisbrot at cepr.net>

Running budget surpluses is a drag on the economy-- the reasoning is included in the basic Keynesian, Econ 101 model.

If I had to explain the current expansion in a few sentences, I would attribute it to (1) the stock market bubble which generated some trillions of dollars of wealth and therefore hundreds of billions in demand from those enriched and (2) major change in Fed policy 5 and a half years ago, when they abandoned the 6 percent NAIRU and allowed the unemployment rate to fall to 4 percent. There was also a certain amount of gross investment associated with the "new economy" changes, altho I don't think investment changed increased much as a share of GDP over the course of the expansion, and of course much of that investment will turn out to be waste as the dot-com bubble deflates.

Mark

Name: Mark Weisbrot E-mail: <weisbrot at cepr.net> Co-Director Center for Economic and Policy Research 1015 18th Street NW, Suite 200 Washington, DC 20036 Phone (202) 293-5380 x228 Fax (202) 822-1199 (202) 333-6141 (home) www.cepr.net