Kulturkampf (was: Re: Ashcroft & Race)

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Fri Jan 5 21:51:30 PST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Carrol Cox wrote:

> P.S. What Wojtek calls the "culturalist left" doesn't exist.
> It is wholly a creation of his fevered imagination. Of
> course the habit of making up caricatures of the left to
> attack is as old as the fear of the working class.

But of course what Wojtek does best is setup caricatures in order to have fun pretending to knock them down. It tempts me to start telling all those pollock jokes I learned in my youth in the industrial Midwest. (But since I now live in Texas, they are all now Aggie jokes. I digress -- mutter, mutter.)

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

-- Charles Babbage