X & DP

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 7 13:15:55 PST 2001

This always has puzzled me, too, particularly coming from a group that reveres someone who was duly convicted of the capital offense of being a Messiah and promptly executed. At least the Catholic bishops are consistent in their support of life, although they are more likely to call a politician on the carpet for supporting abortion than they are to criticize one for supporting the death penalty. Even so, they have helped stem the tide toward renewing capital punishment in several states. And some fundamentalist preachers and televangelists buckled in calling for clemency toward Karla Faye Tucker, the axe-murderer who became born-again while on Death Row in Texas but whose appeal for mercy was mocked by George W. Bush in his interview with Talk Magazine.

-- Jim Cullen