musical question

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jan 7 14:33:05 PST 2001

At 05:10 PM 1/7/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>kelley wrote:
>
>>furthermore, if i'm not mistaken, there is some reason to believe, given
>>her history with beatty, that she might not be altogether ignorant of
>>some of the issues. and, even were beatty never in the picture, there's
>>no reason to think that she's an ignoramus, even if she's a pop star.
>
>And Beatty, of course, studies under Marc Cooper! Not unlike Arianna
>Huffington.
>
>Madonna is hardly an ignoramus; hope it didn't sound like I implied that.
>And "Music" really is a splendid song.
>
>Doug

i didn't think you had considered her ignorant. i agree -- i think the lyrics are vague and was a little surprised too because i always thought it was more like "music makes the bourgeoisie and the rebel" (with a background of "come together") i haven't heard the song in quite some time, tho. but at any rate, even straight up, the lyrics seem to make sense in so far as she's suggesting that music can be used for both bourg and revolutionary causes -- hardly a profound insight. the quibbling comes in when you start asking whether madonna makes "music" or not, eh? heh.

kelley