music

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 7 19:15:19 PST 2001

pms, Giant Sand is great. Get 'em all. I play the newest one Chore of Enchantment on Thrill Jockey constantly. Couple of spin off bands too, Calexico and Friends of Dean Martinez. A tribute album to Rainer Ptacek http://www.kxci.org/rainer/RainerPtacek1951_1997.htm by those guys and many others is worth searching out.. T he album you just got is great for those nights when Neil Young's Tonight's The Night is the first you put in the CD player, then you follow the lesson of that album by drinking some whiskey, slap on Palace Brothers or Lambchop, then Whisky For The Holy Ghost by Mark Lanegan or The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall.

Michael Pugliese, on my way to corner liquor store but not before I finish Mezcal Head by Swervedriver, The Edge of the World by The Mekons, Sister Lovers by Big Star and Bourbonitis Blues by Alejandro Escovedo. There have to be thousands of songs on alcohol. Anyone ever read that great chapter in a Peter Guralnick book on George Jones? Drunk isn't the word... (Way old punk reference, Escovedo was in The Dils, who did Class War, later in cow punk band Rank & File, later with his brother did a great noisefest called Howl. What beautiful noise esp. live.)

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol5/giantsan.html (Italian fan site?) http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.expectingrain.com/dok/edlis/barfCDn ow.html+Purge+%26+Slouch+lyrics&hl=en == Giant Sand, Patsy Does Dylan ("Bob Dylan"),

from "Long Stem Rant", album, USA 1989 cdnow

(this is actually not a real "song", but Howe Gelb's little daughter

Patsy trying to speak the name "Bob Dylan") http://www.stevewynn.net/articles/patwynn.htm Huh, Steve Wynn from The Dream Syndicate doesn't like Purge & Slouch!

Tried to find lyrics but no luck as yet. The Official looking site http://www.sa-wa-ro2.freeserve.co.uk/GiantSand-Pages/giants-pas.htm has dead links or something for the lyrics.