X & DP

Mon Jan 8 07:55:09 PST 2001

> >Didn't JC challenge him without sin to cast the first stone?
> >Doug
>
> an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth...
>
>Maybe it's the old testament that's pro-death penalty, but many
>primitive Xian communities are more old testament than new.
>
>James Heartfield

Yoshie Furuhashi.: Why does the New Testament have a better reputation among non-believers in Christianity than the Old Testament, when Jesus himself reportedly said: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil" (Matt. 5:17); "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail" (Luke 16:17)?

Jesus's teachings are actually _severer_ than the Old Testament's:

CB: I agree with Yoshie on these words in the New Testament, however, one thing Jesus had going for him is that the Roman-Jewish state used the death penalty against him for his deeds, action, practice. This is some evidence that he was some kind of anti-establishmentarian , revolutionist even, for the time in his activity. Given that Christianity was a main ideology of European feudalism, it may have been advanced for the Roman Empire. It would not be surprising if Jesus was a militant Jewish national liberationist, and therefore made stricter claims of adherence to Jewish law and traditions than the comprador priests and kings, the collaborationists with the Romans. But , for today, all that is rather old time religion.

The cross is something like the electric chair or the gallows. Imagine people with little model electric chairs whenever you see a cross hanging from their necks.