East Asia 1, Silicon Rentiers 0

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 03:08:23 PST 2001

--- Dennis Robert Redmond <dredmond at efn.org> wrote: > On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Jonathan Lassen wrote:

> Hyundai El hasn't
> paid a dividend to stockholders since 1996, was
> bailed out by the state
> and has taken huge losses in the DRAM biz in order
> to establish long-term
> market share
> -- the direct antithesis of neolib
> orthodoxy.

Hrrrrrrmmmmmm -- I disagree that taking huge losses in order to establish long-term market share is the direct antithesis of neolib orthodoxy, and I feel that anyone chucking around the words "Wall Street bubble madness" ought to agree with me. On the subject of Hyundai in the DRAM biz, my instincts guide me in the direction of Freudian securities analysis -- "sometimes a loss is just a loss".

dd

===== “It is necessarily part of the business of a banker to maintain appearances and to profess a conventional respectability which is more than human. Life-long practices of this kind make them the most romantic and the least realistic of men” -- JM Keynes