Chavez Bites the Dust

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jan 9 14:16:51 PST 2001

Actually, it's interesting that no one ties the "politics of personal destruction" to the US's bizarre allergy to partisanship. If Senators could just stand up and say, you know, you're a nice human being but I disagree with your politics, then we wouldn't have this stupid dance where the only way to get rid of an ideological opponent is to find something sleazy about them.

Chavez should not be in charge of the nation's labor laws, but not because she sheltered one illegal immigrant - which sounds like a relatively decent personal thing to do. She shouldn't be labor secretary because she wouldn't enforce the minimum wage laws for the vast numbers of immigrants, legal and illegal, who are exploited in US sweatshops. But she could have been confirmed on the latter but was forced to withdraw over the former.

The odd thing is that it is "moderation" that drives the deepest sewers of American politics, since principled disagreements are considered suspect, while base personal attacks are rewarded with political triumph.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at epinet.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 4:44 PM Subject: RE: Chavez Bites the Dust

Even Bill took longer w/Lani G.

A colleague noted the FBI tidbit could only have come from the Bushies. They pushed her, in no uncertain terms.

mbs

Max Sawicky wrote:

>Well, we know now the Bushies are not long on patience.

Wow. This could be a fun administration.

Doug