Chavez Bites the Dust

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jan 9 14:34:52 PST 2001

Problem is this could cut two ways. If we had a culture wherein any nominee could be rejected on ideological grounds, then a president could never get control of his own appointments. Liberal appointees could be rejected more easily as well. If you don't like capital punishment, you can't be attorney general. The power of the Senate would be magnified, not a good thing. I would not extend this idea to the Supreme Court, since they are not supposed to be subordinate to the executive branch.

mbs

Actually, it's interesting that no one ties the "politics of personal destruction" to the US's bizarre allergy to partisanship. . . . If Senators could just stand up and say, you know, you're a nice human being but I disagree with your politics, . . .