East Asia 1, Silicon Rentiers 0

Jonathan Lassen jjlassen at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jan 10 00:58:08 PST 2001

Dennis,

>I've said it
>before, and I'll say it again: if the Left is serious about challening the
>power of global capital, we need better explanations of why non-American
>capitalisms work, how they're structured, and what their weaknesses might
>be.

I think there's a great deal of literature out there about why non-American capitalism works. What about Amsden, Tabb and Wade? Even the ideologues at the World Bank have been forced to revise their ideas to take into account the East Asian capitalist experience and the work of scholars working against the neo-liberal grain.

*Something* kept Japanese rates of investment as a %
>of GDP near the 28-30% level during the 1990s, and it sure wasn't
>profitability (low), a stock boom or a real estate splurge.

Check out Tabb's The Postwar Japanese System

Jonathan Lassen