Paleo-Cons on Linda Chavez

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 10 07:09:31 PST 2001

At 08:54 AM 1/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
>> From the paleo list at egroups. Also a few posts inquiring into Ron
>>Radosh'es current views on the Old Right, Taft and John T.Flynn. Cut those
>>out since this stuff on Chavez is enuf bandwidth.
>> Michael Pugliese
>
>>--- In paleo at egroups.com, "Thomas Piatak" <tpiatak at a...> wrote:
>>> If all of us practiced Chavez's
>>>particular compassion, the United States would cease to exist and
>>>become instead the northernmost province of Mexico.
>>>

>>Exactly. It is hard to read more than a few of this woman's column's
>>- omnipresent at "movement" conservative sites like
>>Town Hall - without detecting an agenda: the browning of the
>>United States, a makeover of this nation's population into people
>>who look like Linda Chavez. I also sense from her writings that this
>>is a woman who, as a Jew and a Hispanic in a largely gentile and (for
>>the moment)non-Hispanic country, is uncomfortable in her own skin.
>>Her solution: bring on La Raza.
>>
>>Gerald Martin
>

>Jesus, what racist dicks. You belong to this list, Michael? Are they all
>this xenophobic? Must be fun swatting down their arguments. I may subscribe
>myself.

What strikes me in the quoted comment in addition to its seggregationism (which is not exactly racism - one can be a seggregationist without relying on the concept of race) is the occupational disease of many intellectuals of 'explaining' a person's behavior by imputing his/her motives and agendas i.e. the "we-know-better-what-you-are-up-to" thing. This omniscient pretense is what I truly loathe about the scribbling class.

wojtek