My White Problem -- And Ours

Kendall Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Wed Jan 10 10:31:12 PST 2001

Given the talk about neoconfederates on LBO lately, I thought I'd send along my latest piece. It describes six incidents I witnessed in the "New South" over a 3 day period leading up to New Year's Day. I try to draw some general conclusions about and from them.

Best, Kendall Clark, Monkeyfist.com

My White Problem -- And Ours By Kendall Clark

1.

A condition of [1]antiracist work is a kind of attunement, an ear

tuned to the pitch of racism, modulated such that one registers even

the low, subtle tones of racial oppression. But sensitivity has its

costs. The end of antiracist work is the end of racial oppression,

an end that's worth any good faith mishearing. Better to be overly

sensitive to race than a dullard.

White Americans, particularly men, who would do antiracist work must

acquire such attunement through moral education, through tutelage.

Only rarely -- because of our socialization, itself a product and

reinforcement of White privilege -- do we possess the ear we need,

and then only by overcoming not only our lack of it, but our native,

hostile clumsiness to it. Most of us have to earn it, through

careful and attentive listening, chiefly to people of color, to

women, to those for whom such an attunement is a skill of survival,

imbibed with mother's milk. To gain the attunement we need, White

men must destroy old attachments and form new ones. Only by our

genuine love for the oppressed other may we dissolve our native

attachments (to our privilege, to our arrogation, to our power) and

form new attachments of justice and care and concern.

One must be attuned before one may acquire the quality of opposition

that comes from being antiracist rather than just acting that way at

times. Like all social fitnesses attunement to racism is a matter of

degree: sharpened by use, dulled by quiescence. One of my projects

is antiracist work. I have need of a finely pitched ear.

2.

And so, during a recent car trip from Dallas to Atlanta and back, on

[2]interstates 10 and 20, to the capital of the New South through

the heart of the Old, I witnessed the following scenes.

In Lafayette, LA, just off the 10, at [3]Mulate's, a classic

Arcadian restaurant, a group of about 25 White men and women were

drinking beer around the bar, watching a football game on tv, LSU

and Georgia Tech. At one point, a lull in the ambient noise, I heard

a male voice use the n-word to describe one of the players.

During the long drive across Alabama, where there are few radio

stations other than C&W (or fundamentalist Christian), I heard two

songs repeatedly: Hank Williams Jr.'s [4]"If the South Woulda Won"

and Alabama's "When It All Goes South." Each is little more than a

tribute to [5]neoconfederates -- and their supporters, among whom,

in the Congress alone, are Phil Gramm (R-TX), Trent Lott (R-MS),

Thad Cochran (R-MS), Jesse Helms (R-NC), Strom Thurmond (R-SC), Dick

Armey (R-TX), Lindsey Graham (R-SC); and [6]George W. Bush's

Attorney General nominee, John Ashcroft -- who propagandize the

antebellum South and [7]advocate a return to (at least) the [8]legal

segregation of the Jim Crow era.

(Ashcroft, whose views are confused and debased, goes so far as to

claim that secession and civil war in service of slavery's

perpetuation are honorable, not perverse ends:

Your magazine also helps set the record straight. You've got a

heritage of doing that, of defending Southern Patriots like Lee,

Jackson, and Davis. Traditionalists must do more. I've got to do

more. We've all got to stand up and speak in this respect, or

else we'll be taught that these people were giving their lives,

subscribing their sacred fortunes and their honor to some

perverted agenda ([9]Southern Partisan; emphasis added).

Extolling the virtues of the Confederacy, with or without criticism

of slavery or Jim Crow segregation, is a remarkable enactment of

White privilege, especially from a Senator and future US Attorney

General. I wonder if Ashcroft's pledge to "do more" to defend

"Southern Patriots like Lee, Jackson, and Davis" will include doing

less to uphold the law, including civil rights. The scornful

neglect of labor laws by the Regan administration during the 1980s

offers a chilling precedent.)

In Atlanta (a city about which W.E.B. Du Bois wrote, in The Souls of

Black Folks in 1903, that it "must not lead the South to dream of

material prosperity as the touchstone of all success" -- save for

MLK, it seems to have done little since), in an IHOP, within earshot

of several black folk, a White male, a Protestant minister, loudly

asked, "is there anything more ridiculous than a black nativity

scene?" The clearly absurd implication being that White nativity

scenes are less ridiculous (because, one presumes, less historically

anachronistic -- a complete falsehood) than black ones.

In Atlanta, at a holiday party in a private home, a White man, an

on-call, out-of-uniform Georgia police officer remarked -- about the

same football game playing at Mulate's a few days before -- that

"they" must have played so poorly because "they'd eaten a lot of

fried chicken before the game and had greasy fingers." A remark

accepted without comment (or nervous laughter or dissent or dispute)

by the White men to whom it was passed.

In Atlanta, in a private home, during a vigorous conversation about

drugs and decriminalization, a White man characterized the American

drug problem as largely a matter of black crack users. He did so

overtly and by using coded language about an Atlanta public housing

project. He later denied that anything he said or thought about

drugs had anything to do with race.

In Mississippi, along state highway 49 between Jackson and Biloxi, I

stopped at a souvenir stand to buy a few Southern delicacies: chow

chow, blackeyed pea relish, boiled peanuts. In the back I saw a

shelf of racist statuary: dozens of (18" to 24" high) Aunt Jemima,

Stepin' Fetchit, and jazz musician figures with features horribly

distorted to match White supremacist representations of black folk

-- in effect, I'd stumbled unwittingly into a roadside gift shop of

the Klu Klux Klan.

3.

One tactic of oppression is the implicit denial of oppression by

making its infrastructure as invisible as possible. The longer race

or gender oppression can be plausibly denied or shielded or masked,

the better for the oppressers. Not only is it beneficial to deny the

facts of oppression, it's beneficial to deny their intended results,

the privileges such oppression confers, and the mechanisms by which

such oppression is created, maintained, extended. The denial of

White privilege, like the denial of racism itself, serves the

interests of those who enjoy it.

It should not be surprising, then, that so many White people are so

confused about what racism is; such confusion reinforces the status

quo and sets the bar of justice and social change far too low. White

people want to and do claim that racism is (only the) overt

expression of racial bigotry or prejudice, and that such overt

expression is socially impermissible. And so it is in situations and

contexts, normally, where black people are really present because

they have some social or institutional power -- but these are rare

in the South, as I rediscovered.

This patterned White response -- so remarkably uniform as to merit

analysis -- obfuscates in two ways: first, by trying to make racist

social structures and institutions invisible by directing critical

attention away from them and onto the failings of individuals;

second, by false claiming bigotry and prejudice to be unutterable

and unuttered.

A common thread running through these Southern vignettes is the

maintenance or construction of White company. In each the context or

institutional setting is White-dominated or controlled. Most White

people would not be so brazen in the real presence of black folks --

a fact that makes the corporate pollution of public airwaves by

corporate-backed neoconfederate propagandists all the more dismaying

-- but what can be done? Given history and White privilege and power

as it's presently constituted (both in the South and elsewhere) one

cannot fault black folks for staying away when possible. Every

all-White assemblage or gathering isn't racist per se, of course;

but they all seem vulnerable to expressions of racial bigotry,

expressions which are both enactments and reinforcements of White

privilege. And White company is certainly more likely to be the

scene White privilege displays than mixed company. What can

antiracist Whites do? Perhaps especially for White men -- who're

often less physically vulnerable than women to racist White men --

who would do the work of antiracism, we must publicly oppose, in

clear and strong terms, racial bigotry, prejudice, and displays of

White privilege, even when subtle or dim. As I found in the not so

new New South, to my dismay and deflation, one doesn't have to look

hard or long to find opportunities.

What of presumptions and burdens of proof? The task of validating a

claim belongs prima facie to the one who makes it. And so it is with

marking the words or actions of others as antiracist. The coarse,

vulgar pattern of opposition to marking racism is to deny its value

in all but the most obvious or extreme cases. Charges of racism, so

the habituated response goes, are so stigmatizing (really?) that

making them effectively forecloses all possibility of rational

discourse. The risk, they claim implicitly, of mismarking racism far

outweighs the gains of marking it properly. That's exactly

backwards. The costs of its perpetuation far outweigh the price of

mismarking it. The presumption, that most black or White folk who

make a claim of racism are either mistaken or insincere, itself

makes or implies a kind of claim, which must be validated, if it can

be, by those who make it. I happily accept the burden to validate my

claims. I do not accept as valid the implied claim that most

markings of racism are false or made in bad faith, especially since

those who habitually make this claim never, at least in my

experience, attempt to validate it.

Attunement is a condition of antiracist work. One of its substantive

tasks, at least for White people, is public opposition to White

expressions of racial bigotry and prejudice, which are ultimately

signs and enactments of White privilege. Recognizing those signs and

enactments without going on to oppose them is little more than

empty, private gesture.