Lee: another view

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 10 10:58:34 PST 2001

[bounced becuase the entire digest was appended as quoted text, thereby pushing the length well over the limit]

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:12:33 -0500 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: Ed Dupree <tedupree at fas.harvard.edu>

Speaking as an eastern NC cracker, I have to say that my last shred of admiration for Marse Robert fell away when I came across a particular WPA slave narrative. A former slave of Lee tells how he tried to escape, was caught, then whipped by an overseer under Lee's personal supervision ("Lay it on well", quoth the Marble Man), then treated to a bath of salt water for his wounds. Don't have the citation, but I remember it well.

Long live country music etc., but fuck Lee along with his Cause.