The Confederacy

Wed Jan 10 12:40:51 PST 2001

>>> ckromm at mindspring.com 01/10/01 11:54AM >>>

God, what is it with the Southern-bashing on this list?

(((((((((

CB: One of the best things about the South is that it has so many Black people.

((((((((

CB: Most of the people in Detroit have Southern heritage and accents.

When a Jewish friend of mine from New Jersey moved to Boston from D.C., where he had lived for a few years, people thought he had a Southern accent.

mbs

When I started teaching at Kalamazoo College in Michigan, I referred (in my iggerant Southernfied manner) to the members of my freshman seminar as "y'all': they burst out laughing, except for one girl who said angrily, "Ah doan see whuts funny 'bout thyat." She was from Atlanta. We became friends. My Virginia accent is mostly processed into a transatlantic Ivy League Oxbridge blur with a heavy Midwestern overlay, but I still say y'all, yonder, hereabouts, much 'bliged, and suchlike, to the amusement of my kids.

--jks