The Confederacy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 10 13:48:23 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>I would understand this remark of Keynes not so much
>as an illustration that Keynes was a bad man (though he was)

How? I was the one who posted the quote, and I don't think it necessarily means that Keynes was a "bad" individual; he reflected the class prejudices of his time. Keynes wasn't a "bad" individual really; the social philosophy he advocated was certainly a lot more humane than what his class peers were prescribing.

I was using the quote to illustrate that the separation of finance from production, and the demonization of finance, serves a similar psychological role to what a kind of anti-Semitism does - it becomes a repository for social guilt about the evils of capitalism. That is, "The Jew" is figured as greedy, cold, conniving, etc. - all features of the mindset encouraged by capitalism, but externalized in some figure of evil. (I stole this analysis of anti-Semitism from Zizek.)

Doug