A "New Left" Movement in China against WTO

qualiall_2 at yahoo.com qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 15:59:31 PST 2001

I stumbled across this article doing a search for China+WTO in hopes I could find more information regarding another very small, undetailed article that I stumbled across in regards to the loss of State Run jobs in China due to entry into the WTO (it was a small caption on a picture that showed a homeless man eating from the garbage in Beijing)--I didn't find any articles which went into more detail, but I did find this of interest---there are claims of a "New Left" movement springing up in China (this article is a few months old, so you may of already seen this)---very interesting---

Anti-WTO Force Grows in China

http://dailynews.muzi.com/ll/english/1020997.shtml

[LatelineNews: 2000-11-21] Beijing - Opposition within China to the nation's entry to the World Trade Organization is growing after the U.S. denied requests for a delay in tariff cuts, the Financial Times Internet site reported, quoting Li Yining, deputy director of the finance and economy committee at the National People's Congress. ``WTO accession will bring a shock to many sectors of the economy. Apart from the textiles industry, the opening of all other sectors will come as a big shock to them,'' the report quotes Li as saying. He said a ``new left'' has emerged in Chinese politics which ``strongly believe that the disadvantages (of WTO accession) outweigh the advantages.''

China's leadership is seen committed to joining the WTO sometime in the next few months, though Li's comments and the request for delayed tariff cuts represent clear signs of significant bureaucratic opposition in Beijing over concessions the leadership made in negotiations with the U.S. and European Union, the newspaper said.

The dismantling of trade barriers after China joins the WTO will give the country an edge in wooing makers of everything from garments to electronic parts. That could mean an exodus from Southeast Asia, the region's traditional low-cost manufacturing hub.

Muzi.com LatelineNews

http://dailynews.muzi.com/ll/english/1020997.shtml