Lee: another view

Reese reeza at flex.com
Wed Jan 10 21:16:55 PST 2001

At 01:26 PM 1/10/01 -0600, Carrol Cox wrote:

>But by the mid-18th century there was a sufficient body of

>opinion condemning slavery as such as to undercut any and

>all excuses for its defenders. Samuel Johnson once made a

>toast to the next Negro Insurrection in the West Indies. He

>also opposed granting independence to the American

>Colonies on the basis that slave-drivers weren't fit to be

>free themselves. I think all slaveowners and defenders of

>slavery from 1776 on can be condemned as showing bad

>faith. And I think that bad faith predominates over or

>corrupts whatever other virtues may be claimed for them.

I doubt that this body of opinion was sufficient to lay down categorical condemnations based on the 1776 date as you have done above.

See http://www.eh.net/Archives/eh.res/may-1998/0014.html

I've read that globally, slavery didn't end until the early 20th century, when it was finally outlawed on the Arabian peninsula.

Reese