rationale behind hate crimes

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 00:11:13 PST 2001

--- kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> cited:

>>If someone attacks me because they want my car, and
>I’m
>>murdered, the punishment may be less and the
>category of crime would be
>>different than if someone attacks a gay man and
>murders him because they
>>don’t like gay men. In both cases, murder committed,
>man dead. But my
>>murder is somehow less egregious than the murder of
>the homosexual.
>>Somehow, and I hope you'll excuse me for this
>insensitivity, but I just
>>don’t see it that way.

Shurely this isn't rocket science. If I kill someone in order to steal their car, then once I've done it, I've got a car and I don't need to kill anyone else. But if I kill someone for being gay, then well, there's still a whole load of gays left. Hence the need to treat some motives as exacerbating.

dd

===== “It is necessarily part of the business of a banker to maintain appearances and to profess a conventional respectability which is more than human. Life-long practices of this kind make them the most romantic and the least realistic of men” -- JM Keynes