rationale behind hate crimes

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 12:34:13 PST 2001

Right. Many US leftists fled the "land of the free" with its constitutional guarantees for England, especially in the McCarthy period. You guys landed, e.g., M.I. Finley, the great classical historian. Of course, what has made the diff is the strong labor movement as a protector of democratic rights. Now that Blair and Thatcher have undermined the Labour Party, what do you predict for free speech in Britain? Anypne notice that Blair seems toi to want to replace worker's pwoer with constitutional guarantees? --jks