The Confederacy (was Re: questions)

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 11 15:24:58 PST 2001

> Yeah, well, I pretty much grew up in the U.S., been here 33 years, 32 of
> them in the north, 1 in the South. Only in the South have I been hassled
> or felt uncomfortable because of my skin color.
>
> Uday

Never been harassed in the North, Midwest or anywhere else? I'd call that luck, not analysis. From today's papers:

UPI: Despite of nearly two years of loud complaints and calls for reform, the number of minority traffic stops has gone up in Trenton, New Jersey, and its suburbs. The Trenton Star-Ledger says that amid much-publicized calls for reform, particularly from civil rights groups, the latest statistics show that over 40 percent of traffic stops involved members of minority groups . . .

MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE: St. Paul police searched black and hispanic drivers or their cars at about twice the rate of white drivers, according to an analysis of eight months of traffic stop data.