credit cards

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 11 20:24:03 PST 2001

Just rediscovered this old quote from Ross Johnson, CEO of RJR in the 1980s, on "the three rules of Wall Street": "Never play by the rules. Never pay in cash. And never tell the truth." Originally in Barbarians @ the Gate, it's quoted in Credit Card nation: The Conseqauences of America's Addiction To Credit." I didn't read it thourougly, just did a radio read to interview the author Robert Manning this afternoon. Looks good, even if he did spend too much time on the leveraging mania of the 1980s. When I interviewed him this afternoon, he thought the coming recession would be nasty because people had run up their Visas & MCs too much, and firms are under pressure from Wall Street to keep up profits, so they'll be quick to lay people off. He's also worried banks and other lenders will cut off small biz and other risky clients, adding to job loss.

Doug