The Confederacy (was Re: questions)

Uday Mohan udaym at igc.org
Thu Jan 11 21:08:10 PST 2001

Yes, I know racism exists in the North and elsewhere, but it seems to me a less overt part of the fabric of life than in the South. That doesn't take away from its awfulness, but I think there is a qualitative difference about the South. In 1997 a friend and I travelled around the US for six weeks on a research trip. We went to a number of states around the country. Only in the South did I personally feel marginalized because of my color. In Clinton, Tennessee, a modern-looking middle-class town, we had to replace our windshield. My friend and I stood side-by-side while the manager of the auto part store imparted price, time frame, directions toward food etc. She only spoke to my friend (also male) during the entire conversation, refusing to look at me. Further through Tennessee we pulled off the highway to eat at what turned out to be a shrine to the lost cause. Table mats recounted some heroic battle fought by the men in grey; photos of blacks picking cotton hung on the walls on the way to the bathroom; and the following choice mementoes were on sale at the front of the establishment: little statuettes of a "pickaninny" eating watermelon and a "mammy" that you could shake to ring the bell under her skirt. I asked who the place belonged to: some fucker from the state legislature. Is this sort of racist pathology--blatant, intensely crude, and politically legitimate--evident anywhere else in the country the way it is in the South (and in the white supremacist fringe)? It's the kind of racism in which you are instantly supposed to know that you and your narrative don't count and that there is nothing about this that can be negotiated.

Uday