On the Defense of Parasitic Finance

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jan 12 14:03:14 PST 2001

>I would name financial persons for propaganda purposes.
>It's the apparatus and what it does that matters. One
>could also name those, manufacturing or financial types,
>who deserve credit for some kind of good, if exceptional
>and uncharacteristic, behavior.

So you're saying that the entire system of outside ownership of corporations should be the target? Or just names like, oh, Goldman Sachs? Who are the good guys in this scenario? Small business owners, who hate unions and minimum wage laws? Doug

It's not outside or inside ownership. It's not ownership. It's control of capital allocation, part of which is outside, part inside, part a matter of ownership, part not.

The anti-semitic bogeyman underscores the need for care in the use of names to personify stuff we don't like.

To take an example, there is ample evidence for a critique of finance in regard to denying capital to urban, minority communities for housing and business formation. This does not require one to celebrate the management practices of the businesses that might be financed under alternative policies.

mbs