looking for "law of value" references

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 12 21:22:17 PST 2001

Barbara Laurence wrote:

> fellow and sister henwoodians.
> I'm looking for refernces in Marx and Marxist-type economic writings,
> articles or book section or chapters, whatever, on the "law of value."

I don't know that there is any such thing as a "law of value." No such thing is mentioned as far as I can recollect in either _Capital_ or the _Grundrisse_. Someone (or ones) on one of these lists a few years ago was trying to invent some super-historical "law of value" that ruled pre-cap as well as cap societies, but I don't see what reason marxists would have for such a "law." There are endless discussions of value, exchange value, capital, surplus value, commodity, etc. as expressions of social relations in capitalist society -- but no "laws."

Carrol