the tragedy of sex

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 12 22:55:37 PST 2001

> > ***** More than that. Man at last will begin to harmonize himself
>> in earnest. He will make it his business to achieve beauty by giving
>> the movement of his own limbs the utmost precision, purposefulness
>> and economy in his work, his walk and his play. He will try
>
>I snipped the rest of this. After reading that passage from Trotsky, I
>realized that the fourth tragedy is...well, Trotsky himself.
>
>Terry

Hey, what's tragic about dance: achieving beauty by giving one's own limbs economy, precision, & purposiveness without purpose?

"Labor is blossoming or dancing where The body is not bruised to pleasure soul, Nor beauty born out of its own despair, Nor blear-eyed wisdom out of midnight oil. O chestnut-tree, great-rooted blossomer, Are you the leaf, the blossom, or the bole? O body swayed to music, O brightening glance, How can we know the dancer from the dance?"

The exiled Trotsky fell in love with Frida Kahlo....One can only wish for a chance to be devastated by such a romantic tragedy. As a parting gift, Kahlo dedicated a self-portrait to Trotsky. In the painting, she holds a small bouquet of flowers in one hand, and in the other a letter inscribed: "For Leon Trotsky with all my love I dedicate this painting on the 7th of November, 1937." (The seventh of November...Trotsky's birthday & the anniversary of the Russian Revolution.) See the picture at <http://parallel.park.uga.edu/~lisaboyd/240G/w98/kahlo.html>?

Yoshie